Miso Seafood Soup with Beer
- 4 quarter-size pieces fresh ginger
- 1 large leek, white and pale green parts only, sliced and rinsed well
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2-in. matchsticks
- 1 1/2 pounds black cod or Pacific halibut, cut into 1 1/2-in. pieces
- 1/2 cup loosely packed bonito flakes (katsuobushi)*
- 3/4 pound medium sea scallops (15 to 16 per lb.)
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp (26 to 30 per lb.), peeled, tails left on if you like
- 1/2 cup shiro (sweet white) miso
- 1/4 C Foray IPA
- ½ tsp Lemon zest
Bring 4 cups water and ginger to a boil in a large, wide pot.
Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 4 minutes. Turn off heat, sprinkle in bonito flakes, and let sit 3 minutes (flakes will sink). Strain broth through a cheesecloth-lined fine-mesh strainer into a bowl.
Rinse pot, then pour in broth. Add leek and carrots. Bring to a simmer and cook 2 minutes. Add black cod and scallops; simmer 1 minute. Add shrimp and cook 2 minutes more.
Whisk miso with beer in a small bowl. Remove stew from heat and carefully stir in miso mixture. Serve with lemon zest
*Find bonito flakes with the Asian ingredients at well-stocked supermarkets and at natural-foods or Japanese markets.
Recipe from Sunset.com