IPA Thai Curry
- 2 Tbs peanut oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chopped fresh turmeric
- 1 red chili, finely sliced
- 1 tsp cardamom seeds
- 1 tsp lemongrass powder
- 2 Tbs red curry paste
- 9 oz lamb leg, no bone, cut into chunks
- ½ C plain yogurt
- 12 oz Chasin’ Freshies IPA
- 3 potatoes, peeled and each cut into six pieces
- 1 large handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 16 sugar snap peas, topped and tailed
- 16 green beans, topped and tailed
- Preheat the oven to 325°F
- Heat the oil in a casserole dish over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly caramelized. Add the ginger, garlic, turmeric and chilli and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cardamom seeds and lemongrass powder and cook for a few minutes more. Stir in the curry paste and cook until fragrant, then add the lamb pieces and stir well to thoroughly coat all the lamb with the paste. Stir in the yogurt, bring to a simmer, then add the beer, stirring well to combine. Bring back to a simmer.
- Put the lid on the dish, place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Stir in the potato and 2 Tbs of the cilantro, then replace the lid and bake for another 30–40 minutes – the meat should be quite tender by now.
- Add the sugar snap peas and beans and bake, still covered, for a final 5 minutes. Stir the remaining cilantro through just before serving. Serve with a tall glass of Chasin’ Freshies IPA