Gary Fish founded Deschutes Brewery in 1988 with a mission to bring people together and to build a healthier society. We stay committed to that mission, and it's time to continue the work.
We’re excited to announce that we’ve made the Crafted for All commitment. We have dedicated ourselves to continuing to take specific, measurable steps toward improving inclusivity, justice, and equity within our brewery and our community at large, and will be using the Crafted For All framework built to diversify and expand the craft beer community. We look forward to learning from leaders like Dr. J Nikol Jackson-Beckham, sharing our actions, learnings as our work progresses, and as we live our purpose to brew moments of joy and to perpetuate a sense of belonging.
The mission of our newly formed Diversity & Inclusion committe is simple: We strive to create a safe and inclusive space for those who craft our beers and those in our community. We are committed to learning, improving ourselves to ensure equity and celebrating the diversity and humanity of all people.
Here is a look into our recent and ongoing efforts to provide a safe, supportive, and welcome space for our co-owners, furthering the industries inclusivity, and creating a safe and equitable space for all.
- Creating an internal D&I Committee with a direct line to senior staff which creates a safe space for discussion and works on DEI strategy, training, outreach, recruitment and retention.
- Partnering with community organizations outside craft beer such as Partners in Diversity, Latino Community Association, and Central Oregon Black Leaders Assembly to ensure our job postings are accessible to our community members.
- Creating a paid Diversity Apprenticeship which works to remove the barrier for required previous experience and/or brewing education in entry level brewing positions.
- Volunteering time to the MBAA D&I Task Force.
- Contribution and support for the Michael Jackson Foundation for Brewing and Distilling.
- Ongoing DEI Consultation with focus on marketing and HR with Graci LLC.
- Internal fundraising towards supporting local community groups such as SMYRC.
- Ongoing employee satisfaction surveys measuring engagement, communication, advancement, voice, and overall culture.
Our most important core value is that we are Crafted for Community, and our pub roots are central to that. We strive to be a place where people of all different backgrounds, bringing unique perspectives and experiences, can talk to one another and find a sense of belonging. So grab a pint, let’s start the conversation.